The next PRIMARY elections for Hampton/Newport News will be on
Tuesday, March 3, 2020
- Deadline to request an absentee ballot to be mailed to you is Tuesday, February 25, 2020. Your request must be received by your Registrar by 5:00 p.m.
- Deadline to vote in-person absentee at your local registrar's office is by 5:00 pm on Saturday, February 29, 2020. Check available voting hours with your local registrar!
- On Election Day, polls are open from 6am-7pm. Absentee ballots must be received by Election Day.
For more information, please click on the links:
Who Is My Legislator? - Type in your address and see who represents you on the state and federal levels. This may change in 2020 but it lists your current representative.
Virginia Department of Elections - A great resource for voting info.
VA Department of Elections Citizen Portal - Log in to your voter information
to find where to vote, see in what districts do you reside,
apply for an absentee ballot, and more!
Newport News Voter Registrar - Local voter resources
Hampton Voter Registrar - Local voter resources
Information on Required Photo ID - See the acceptable forms of ID for voting,
including the FREE Voter ID available at your local registrars' offices.
Information on Restoration of Voting Rights - Apply to have your rights restored
by the Governor or check on the status of your application.
Can't remember how a bill becomes a law, no problem! Get your refresher here.
Also, check out YelloPain's creative Civics lesson: youtu.be/wMALeR1i-FM
Current Elected Officials for our area:
- President - Donald Trump
- Vice President - Mike Pence
- US Senator (senior) - Mark Warner
- US Senator - Tim Kaine
- Congressional Representative and Districts - 1st Rob Wittman, 2nd Scott Taylor, 3rd Robert C. "Bobby" Scott
Statewide Elected Officials:
- Governor -Ralph Northam
- Lt. Governor - Justin Fairfax
- VA Attorney General - Mark Herring
- State Senator and Districts - 1st Monty Mason, 2nd Mamie Locke, 3rd Thomas Norment
- State Delegates and Districts - 91st Martha Mugler, 92nd Jeion Ward, 93rd Michael Mullin, 94th Shelly Simonds, 95th Marcia "Cia" Price
Newport News Local Leadership:
- Mayor - McKinley Price
- City Council - Vice Mayor Tina Vick, Saundra Cherry, Dave Jenkins, Pat Woodbury, Marcellus Harris, Sharon Scott
- School Board - Chair Gary Hunter, Douglas Brown, John Eley, Terri Best, Lisa Surles-Law, Marvin Harris, and appointed member Maritsa Alger serving Simonds' unexpired term.
Newport News Constitutional Officers:
- Sheriff - Gabe Morgan
- Commonwealth's Attorney - Howard Gwynn
- Commissioner of the Revenue - Tiffany Boyle
- Treasurer - Marty Eubank
- Clerk of Court - Angela Reason
Hampton Local Leadership:
- Mayor - Donnie Tuck
- City Council - Vice Mayor Jimmy Gray, Linda Curtis, Billy Hobbs, Chris Snead, Steven Brown, Eleanor Brown
- School Board - Chair Ann Curry, Joe Kilgore, Phyllis Henry, Reginald Woodhouse, Jason Samuels, Richard Mason, and appointed member Monica Smith serving Mugler's unexpired term.
Hampton Constitutional Officers:
- Sheriff - BJ Roberts
- Commonwealth's Attorney - Anton Bell
- Commissioner of the Revenue - Ross Mugler
- Treasurer - Molly Ward
- Clerk of Court - Linda Batchelor Smith
Precincts for the 95th District for 2019 Elections:
- Boulevard* - Knights of Columbus Building
- Briarfield – An Achievable Dream Middle & High School
- Carver – Carver Elementary School
- Chestnut – Dochiki Club
- Deer Park* - Deer Park Elementary School
- Downtown – City Council Chambers
- Dunbar – An Achievable Dream Academy
- Hilton* - Main Street Library
- Huntington – Doris Miller Community Center
- Jefferson – Marshall Courts Rec Center
- Magruder – Discovery STEM Academy
- Marshall – Marshall Early Learning Center
- Newmarket# – American Legion Post 25
- Newsome Park – Newsome Park Elementary School
- Oyster Point* - Yates Elementary School
- Palmer*# - Palmer Elementary School
- Reed – Downing Gross Cultural Arts Center
- River* - Virginia War Museum
- Sandy Bottom (HAMPTON)*# - Sandy Bottom Nature Park
- Saunders*# - Saunders Elementary School
- Sedgefield* - Sedgefield Elementary School
- South Morrison – South Morrison Family Learning Center
- Warwick*# - Warwick Recreation Center
- Washington – Booker T. Washington Middle School
- Watkins* - Watkins Early Childhood Center
- Wilson – Ivy Baptist Church
#= split precinct with another district
USE THIS WEBSITE TO CHECK YOUR ADDRESS:
- Primary Election Day is March 3rd. Polls are open from 6am-7pm. Your polling location or precinct is based on where you live. You can find out your polling location in your own Citizen Portal. Go to http://bit.ly/CitizenPortalVA type in your name, date of birth, last four of your social, and the city or county where you are registered. Once you go there, you can see your polling location and the address.
-Absentee voting is when you vote before election day because you have a valid excuse. You can do this by mail or in-person. For absentee voting, you can apply to have a ballot mailed to you by logging in to your citizen portal (above) and clicking the box that says request an absentee ballot. Please note that you have to give a valid excuse to be eligible for this. Some reasons may be traveling on Election Day, long work hours, being a caregiver, being ill, etc. To vote in-person absentee, you can visit your local voter registrar's office to apply and vote at the same time. For more info, visit http://bit.ly/AbsenteeVoteVA
-You need photo ID in order to vote in VA. Some examples of valid photo ID are your VA driver’s license or DMV-issued state ID, US Passport, employer-issued photo ID, and Student photo ID issued by a VA school. IF you don't have any of the valid IDs, you can get a VA Voter ID for FREE from your local Voter Registrar's office.
-Your House of Delegates district may have changed in the #757 or #804 due to redistricting. You can go to your Citizen Portal above to see what your district is or visit VPAP to see more info about your districts. Go to https://www.vpap.org/ type in your address and see more information.
-Don't assume that everyone in your life is aware of the above info. Please share it and make sure everyone is ready for March 3rd!
-Have questions? Email me at DelMPrice@House.Virginia.Gov or call us at 757-266-5935
Updated January 2020